This stress strategy will make you feel better right awaymore »
Have you ever felt overwhelmed, helpless, even a slight tightness in your chest? I know, dumb question right? Well what can we do about it? I have a technique I use very often with my clients and myself- insight: I get these feelings too.
Try these powerful stress strategies to disengage from your current thought process. (Hint- your current thought process is what keeps you stuck feeling this way)
- Disengage from what you’re doing completely. Do this when you don’t know what to do to feel better. Examples- get up from your desk and walk outside, or go somewhere you’ve never been before or talk to a total stranger- anything to engage your mind in a unique behavior or activity that it must focus on instead of how lousy you feel.
- Smile as big as you can and think about a favorite place you’d love to be right now.
- Take 3 deep breaths and relax your shoulders while sitting or standing as tall as you can.
- Now that you broke your negative thought cycle, come up with one simple action step to directly affect why you’re feeling stressed.
- Take that step right now. Don’t wait. When you take a step toward addressing your stress you will empower yourself.
I recently spoke to a large audience and I was expected to excite, motivate and inspire them. One minor challenge, before I spoke I felt the feelings above. I focused my thoughts, took deep breaths and went on to give the best live event of my career. This experience has happened to me many times and it usually happens right before I have a big breakthrough in my career and personal life. In the past I would become self-conscious and interpret the emotions as something being wrong and want to retreat back to my comfort zone. Now I know better. Let me explain further. more »