We call the pose above a lion stretch in the physical therapy world. You may also know variations as child’s pose or prayer position. This is one of the safest ways to stretch your low back without straining it. Here’s what you need to know:
- Start on your knees and lean forward, reaching straight out in front of you
- Try to get your butt on your heels
- Hold this position for 5-10 seconds, repeating as desired
- If you’re knees hurt place a pillow under them
- Exhale as you reach forward and relax
Start slowly and progress as comfortable. I do this stretch after every pushup I do as part of my 5 Minutes to Fitness+ workout and I show it to all my physical therapy clients.
Consult with your health care professional before starting any stretch or workout routine.
What’s your favorite stretch? You do stretch, every day, right